Academic renewal (policy 54-90) provides an opportunity for former students to resume their academic career without being penalized by their past academic record.
Outcome of Academic Renewal
- Cumulative grade-point average starts over
- Prior academic record will remain unchanged on the transcript
- A notation of academic renewal will be included on the transcript
- Total credits completed will be recalculated based on prior courses with a grade of "C" or higher
Eligibility for Academic Renewal
- Minimum period of four years without enrolling in any Penn
State credit course.
- Previous cumulative grade-point average was less than a 2.00.
Process to Apply for Academic Renewal:
- Complete the Academic Renewal Form and return it to the campus Registrar at the campus you plan to enroll.
- Previous degree candidates apply for academic renewal before applying for re-enrollment.
- Previous division of undergraduate studies conditional students (in degree-seeking status) apply for academic renewal before applying for admission to conditional or degree status.
- Previous nondegree regular students apply for academic renewal before applying for non-degree regular status or degree status.
- The University Registrar will notify you of the decision regarding your request.
- Students who did not meet the satisfactory academic progress standards for federal
student aid eligibility during their most recent prior semester of enrollment should contact the Office of Student Aid to determine if an appeal to regain federal aid eligibiity is