Leaving the University

Students should carefully consider all the consequences to leaving Penn State before they complete the process. There are ramifications for financial aid, loan repayments and health insurance. In addition, there are processes that must be followed when a student determines that he or she is ready to return to the University. Once a student makes that decision, he or she should follow the appropriate process:

  • If the semester has not begun and you have decided that you will not be attending the University, you should cancel your registration.
  • If the semester has not begun and you have decided that you will be leaving the University temporarily (for one or two semesters), you should request a leave of absence.
  • Once the semester begins, you must withdraw.

Students who are leaving Penn State should also do the following:

  • Contact the Bursar regarding any outstanding account balances.
  • If you have a housing contract, consult with the Housing Office at your campus to cancel the contract.
  • If you have a loan, complete the exit interview at: https://studentloans.gov
  • If you are an international student in F-1 status or in J-1 status whose DS-2019 was issued by Penn State's Directorate of International Student and Scholar Advising (DISSA) office, please complete the Exit Form in iStart.gp.psu.edu if you are leaving the University temporarily or permanently.