Effective October 23, 1998, all Colleges and Universities are required to comply with the final regulations of the Solomon Amendment. Failure to comply may result in the loss of federal funding including various forms of federal student aid. The purpose of this document is to explain the procedures at The Pennsylvania State University regarding compliance with the Solomon Amendment.
The Solomon Amendment supercedes FERPA. Solomon is based on the definition of "Student Recruitment Information."
Definition - Student Recruitment Information
- Address (local, permanent)
- Telephone number (local, permanent)
- Class Level (e.g. First-Year, Sophomore)
- Degree awarded
- Information released is limited to the current semester or the previous semester. If the request is received between semesters, the requestor must specify previous semester or upcoming semester.
- Students must be enrolled.
- If a student requests that their directory information be withheld under FERPA, this protection will be honored under Solomon; the student's records will not be released.
- Sub-population definition under Solomon is limited to the data elements included in the definition of "Student Recruitment Information." Sub-population definitions according to veteran status, academic performance, ethnicity, nationality, and gender are specifically excluded under Solomon. At Penn State, we will provide sub-population definition according to:
- Undergraduate/graduate students
- Undergraduate class level (e.g. First-Year, Sophomore)
- Information released is limited to military recruiting purposes only. The request for information must be in writing on letterhead that clearly identifies the military recruiting organization. Military recruiters must be from one of the following military organizations:
- Air Force
- Air Force Reserve
- Air Force National Guard
- Army National Guard
- Army Reserve
- Coast Guard
- Coast Guard Reserve
- Navy Reserve
- Marine Corps
- Marine Corps Reserve
Requesting Recruitment Information
All responses to Solomon Amendment requests for information will be processed centrally. Military Recruiters are to submit their Solomon requests to: Office of the University Registrar, Information Services Department, 112 Shields Building, University Park, PA 16802. Any requests sent directly to Campus Registrars should be immediately forwarded to the Information Services Department.
Military Recruiters are required:
- To submit their request in writing, on letterhead that clearly identifies their military recruiting organization.
- To complete a "Solomon Amendment Request for Information" order form.
Requested information will be provided in an Excel file (compressed/self-extracting file, fixed length records) on a CD or as an email attachment.