Undergraduate students desiring to process a retroactive registration must:
- End the semester(s) in an incomplete registration.
- Clear all pending holds.
- Retain all courses on their schedule.
- Have sufficient funds available to pay tuition and fees prior to submitting the request. Any type of financial aid (grants, scholarships, federal or alternative loans) that is processed by the Office of Student Aid and paid directly to Penn State CANNOT be used as payment towards a retroactive registration.
Requests for retroactive registration must be received within nine months of the end of the semester being requested. Students requesting retroactive registration more than nine months after the end of the semester or who did not schedule classes or who cancelled their semester schedule, must petition the Faculty Senate through their academic college.
Graduate students desiring to process a retroactive registration must contact the Graduate School.
For a student intending to graduate, requests for retroactive registration must be received in the Office of the University Registrar by the last day of final exams for the semester the student plans to graduate. Individual campuses may have additional requirements. Call the Campus Registrar's Office to confirm the date for a particular semester.
The Office of the University Registrar will notify the student of the decision within five weeks. Notification will be by letter to the address listed on the form.
- Follow these steps for each semester for which
you request retroactive registration.
- Complete the Undergraduate Retroactive Registration form.
- Read these instructions and sign the Statement of Understanding on the Retroactive Registration form.
- Prepare a letter explaining the need to retroactively
register for the desired semester. The letter must be prepared by the student and address
the following items:
- Reason for not completing registration during the semester.
- How you plan to pay the tuition and fees now. Any type of financial aid (grants, scholarships, federal or alternative loans) that is processed by the Office of Student Aid and paid directly to Penn State CANNOT be used as payment towards a retroactive registration.
- Obtain a signature or letter of recommendation from your college, campus or adviser.
- Obtain a copy of your requested semester schedule from eLion, your department, college, adviser or the Registrar's Office.
- Submit all of the above documents to the Registrar's Office at the campus where your courses were scheduled. At University Park, return to: Office of the University Registrar, Administrative Services, 114 Shields Building, University Park, PA 16802.
Follow-through actions to be completed within 30 days of approval:
- Contact the Office of the Bursar to complete the retroactive registration.
- Full payment of tuition, fees, and room and board (if applicable) is required.
- Tuition and fees are charged at the current rates in effect at the time of payment.
- Any outstanding balances, including current semester tuition and fees, must be paid.
- Once registration is complete and grades are posted, you may choose to contact the Office of Student Aid to determine if any financial aid is available to you as a reimbursement based on your specific aid eligibility and federal and state financial aid regulations.
Students are held accountable for all credits attempted. Grades will be collected from the instructors after registration is complete. If a grade cannot be obtained, the student will receive an "F."
All courses on the student's schedule are retained. Changes to the schedule require a petition to the Faculty Senate after the retroactive registration is complete.
Reasons for Denial:
- Missing supporting documents.
- Incomplete information.
- Lacking support from the college, campus or adviser.
- Student has a hold in place preventing registration.
- Lack of evidence that student made good-faith effort to pay their bill by the end of the semester.
- Evidence that student is abusing the opportunity to retroactively register.
- Previously approved retroactive registration request not completed by paying tuition and fees.
- Not adequately explaining the method of payment.